Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 02:23:16 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Improving Johnny

Mathieu,

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 04:53:42PM -0400, Mathieu Laprise wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am a 3rd year software engineering student from Polytechique Montréal.
> Solar told me about enhancing the Johnny project this summer as part of
> GSOC. It really picked my interest for two main reasons.
>
> 1- I am passionated about security and I want to do a master degree in that
> field.
> 2- I love working with the QT framework and C++. I worked with them at
> school and I have done a 4 months 40 hours/week internship last summer in
> QT at Adacel (a company in the aviation field). I really enjoyed this
> internship and it gave me a lot of hands-on experience with QT.

Nice.

There is a line in Johnny:

  temp << QString("%1:%2::%3\n").arg(user).arg(hash).arg(hash);

Do you see any problems with it? If there is a problem then
- provide an example of input to trigger the problem.
- How would you fix it?
- Does the fix work with your example?
- Push the fix into a separate branch in your public repo please.

> While reading the mailing list, I have seen that Shinnok and Aleksey were
> working on Johnny and that they couldn't participate as student. I'm really
> interested in working on Johnny. Would you guys be interested in becoming
> mentors ?

We are interested in your work on Johnny. I think Shinnok may be the
mentor. I'll keep an eye on your work too.

> In my last internship, my boss was busy and he appreciated that I
> was able to work on my own and be self-motivated. I wasn't always asking
> him for help, I was able to solve complex problems by myself and by reading
> documentation.

Nice.

> I have looked closely at Johnny release plan to make a timeline. Would you
> prefer to do all features of a version before another(exemple: we do
> everything of 1.1, then 1.2 then 1.3) or would you priorize some important
> features first ? Also, what about the features that have Shinnok's name on
> it such as upgrade to qt5, ui overhault, rethink progress bar, Shinnok, do
> you prefer that I do it in my GSOC ?

I leave it to be answered by Shinnok.

Thanks!

--