Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 16:53:42 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Improving Johnny

Hello everyone,
I am a 3rd year software engineering student from Polytechique Montréal.
Solar told me about enhancing the Johnny project this summer as part of
GSOC. It really picked my interest for two main reasons.

1- I am passionated about security and I want to do a master degree in that
field.
2- I love working with the QT framework and C++. I worked with them at
school and I have done a 4 months 40 hours/week internship last summer in
QT at Adacel (a company in the aviation field). I really enjoyed this
internship and it gave me a lot of hands-on experience with QT.

While reading the mailing list, I have seen that Shinnok and Aleksey were
working on Johnny and that they couldn't participate as student. I'm really
interested in working on Johnny. Would you guys be interested in becoming
mentors ? In my last internship, my boss was busy and he appreciated that I
was able to work on my own and be self-motivated. I wasn't always asking
him for help, I was able to solve complex problems by myself and by reading
documentation.

I have looked closely at Johnny release plan to make a timeline. Would you
prefer to do all features of a version before another(exemple: we do
everything of 1.1, then 1.2 then 1.3) or would you priorize some important
features first ? Also, what about the features that have Shinnok's name on
it such as upgrade to qt5, ui overhault, rethink progress bar, Shinnok, do
you prefer that I do it in my GSOC ?

Content of type "text/html" skipped