Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 17:09:21 +0200
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] Johnny further development proposal

> On Mar 25, 2015, at 4:22 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 01:26:23PM +0300, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:52:57AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
>>> It is still possible to register as a mentor for GSoC, and it is even
>>> still possible to apply as a student in GSoC (this week only, though).
>>> However, we did not list this task on our ideas page this year.  It was
>>> only potentially open to you (but you're not eligible as a student) and
>>> to Aleksey (but he's probably not applying for a variety of his own
>>> reasons, although he's welcome to).  So it looks like it won't be worked
>>> on under this year's GSoC.
>>
>> We can never face a similar opportunity.
>
> You mean "might" rather than "can", but yes you're right.
>
>> So I'll work around my reasons and apply to gsoc.
>
> Unfortunately, we've since learned that Aleksey is not eligible this
> year due to a change in GSoC's student eligibility rules compared to
> prior years.
>
> Shinnok, Aleksey - I would recommend that the two of you work on this as
> a non-GSoC project, then.  Perhaps with reduced scope.  Focus on just
> the most pressing tasks, such as supporting jumbo, *2john, and making
> (new) binary builds for OS X and Linux.  Once these are taken care of,
> it'd make sense to discuss further tasks.

That's not a deterrent on my part. I've cropped up a development plan on the Wiki:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny-roadmap

This should guide us on steering Johnny further than it's current state. I propose frequent incremental releases, until we reach 2.0. From then onwards we'll be able to make another plan to better suite at that specific moment in time and state of Johnny.
Solar, Aleksey, you can go ahead and make modifications(or anyone else who has something to contribute) to the Wiki or reply to this e-mail. I'll update that constantly as I find new things or must dos and come back to it anytime I feel like development is going side-ways.

Shinnok