Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 05:22:26 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Johnny further development proposal

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 01:26:23PM +0300, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:52:57AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> > It is still possible to register as a mentor for GSoC, and it is even
> > still possible to apply as a student in GSoC (this week only, though).
> > However, we did not list this task on our ideas page this year.  It was
> > only potentially open to you (but you're not eligible as a student) and
> > to Aleksey (but he's probably not applying for a variety of his own
> > reasons, although he's welcome to).  So it looks like it won't be worked
> > on under this year's GSoC.
>
> We can never face a similar opportunity.

You mean "might" rather than "can", but yes you're right.

> So I'll work around my reasons and apply to gsoc.

Unfortunately, we've since learned that Aleksey is not eligible this
year due to a change in GSoC's student eligibility rules compared to
prior years.

Shinnok, Aleksey - I would recommend that the two of you work on this as
a non-GSoC project, then.  Perhaps with reduced scope.  Focus on just
the most pressing tasks, such as supporting jumbo, *2john, and making
(new) binary builds for OS X and Linux.  Once these are taken care of,
it'd make sense to discuss further tasks.

Thanks!

Alexander