Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:59:04 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] building JtR for MIC

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 06:52:31PM +0800, Lei Zhang wrote:
> Out of curiosity, I gave LibreSSL a try. I managed to build LibreSSL (the latest stable version) for MIC, and linked it with john-jumbo in place of OpenSSL. Surprisingly, the issue was gone. I reran the benchmark on MIC with the relinked john-jumbo, and it PASSED all the tests!

Cool!

> So far LibreSSL seems more friendly to MIC. Maybe we could use LibreSSL instead of OpenSSL when building for MIC? Either way, the SSL library need to be built manually.

Sure, let's use LibreSSL for MIC.  Please update the instructions
accordingly.

However, let's also figure out the issue with OpenSSL.  If it's a real
bug, it needs to be reported to OpenSSL developers.  Can you play with
it some more, especially now that you can e.g. compare pieces of
compiled code vs. LibreSSL's (disassemble relevant object files)?

Alexander