Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 15:12:07 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Extend AFL to fuzz as you want

On 2015-03-15 02:55, Kai Zhao wrote:
>> XML is sure not convenient but it is powerful
>
> Sorry I forgot to describe why XML is powerful. XML can handle
> complex formats, such as 7z format. The 7z format is as follow:
>
> $7z$0$19$0$1122$8$d1f50227759415890000000000000000$1412385885$ data_length
> $112$ data
>
> The valid() function require  strlen(data) == data_length *  2.
>
> Complex hash formats like 7z can be handled with XML. But it's
> impossible for the expression like "$siemens-s7$1$%40h$%40h". I think
> the expression is good but it can handle complex hash format.
>
> If we want to fuzz valid(), the expression like
> "$siemens-s7$1$%40h$%40h" is ok. If we want to fuzz functions after
> valid(), the expression can not do that.

Neither bare XML nor scanf-like format strings can express such
relations. But you can add support for it on top of both of them. E.g.,
add to format strings something like numbered groups from regexes:
"...$%1l%...$(%B)" where %1l means the length of the 1st group.

It's theoretically possible but I don't say that we should support it. I
think that, for a start, we should review which building blocks we have
in our hashes (hex, base64 etc.). Then we have to decide which we want
to support. I'm leaning to the idea that we don't want to support such
complex relations between parts of a hash at all.

I think this is a general question to be discussed in john-dev, not
limited by the needs of fuzzing or security in general. Talking
specifically about fuzzing, when you want to fuzz functions behind the
valid() it's easier to patch this specific check out of valid() for now.

--
Alexander Cherepanov