Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 21:24:47 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Xeon Phi

Hi,

3 of Lei's messages were caught in our spam filter.  They used the
gb2312 charset, which we had blacklisted (among several others) for our
mailing lists due to all the spam.  We normally use English here, so it
was unexpected to see non-spam use this charset.  (FWIW, the first ones
among the blocked charsets were the Cyrillic ones, since our server is
located in Russia and we get so much geo-targeted spam.  And then this
was followed by the Japanese and Chinese charsets.)

I've just resent these messages to the list.  Unfortunately, their
original send dates were lost (they were March 6 to March 10).  I also
lost the gb2312 charset specification on the first one of the three
messages (I corrected it before resending the next two).

For now, I kept the spam filter intact, but I whitelisted Lei's e-mail
address.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 09:09:20PM +0300, Lei Zhang wrote:
> What about merging ??JtR support for Xeon Phi?? and ??Better SIMD implementations of SHA-2?? into one project? Since they??re both related to the use of SIMD instructions.

Lei must have been reading my thoughts.  Although I only found this
message today, I had merged these two ideas into one yesterday.  Now
it's called "John the Ripper SIMD support enhancements" and it has four
sub-tasks (AVX2, MIC/AVX-512, non-x86 SIMD, and better SHA-2 SIMD).

http://openwall.info/wiki/ideas

Alexander