Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 04:46:13 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Hash Suite Droid is open-sourced

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 06:47:36PM -0500, Alain Espinosa wrote:
> On 8/25/14, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > ...  To remind you, we
> > had created john-dev for advanced discussions of source code changes,
> > and this topic isn't one of those.
>
> I am confused here.

Yes, many people are confused by this.  So maybe I am wrong in choosing
to use the john-users list for more things than many others feel it is
appropriate for.  However, I think it is important that john-users
alone, without john-dev, worked well for us up until the point where we
started to discuss source code changes in detail, with code snippets and
patches included.  (In fact, even some of the patches were appropriate
for end-users.)  I prefer to err on the side of keeping discussions on
john-users more rather than less advanced.

I think simply announcing where a new and relevant Open Source project
is located, including the source code, is john-users material.  More so
than john-dev, at least.

> This is related to code and i think it advanced
> because it is not related to John The Ripper itself. How i now
> understand is:
>
> https://github.com/alainesp/HashSuiteDroid announce for john-dev
> http://hashsuite.openwall.net/android announce for john-users

No, both are john-users material.

"not related to John The Ripper itself" could make the posting off-topic
for either list, but if we choose to post anyway, then john-users is
more appropriate.  This does not make the posting too advanced for
john-users while keeping it OK for john-dev.

> Nevertheless i will forward the email to john-users (with the changes
> you suggested).

Thank you!

Alexander

P.S. Sorry for the bikeshed.