Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:00:00 +0100
From: Rafael Waldo Delgado Doblas <lord.rafa@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Parallella: scrypt

Alexander,

As you told me, I'm posting a copy of the mail that I sent you:

I just finished the implementation of Scrypt format. Now I have some
questions:

The SSE implementation have a really poor performance on my i5-3570K only
30 c/s and it's really worst in Parallella where the ref implementation
only gets 0.7, I have attached the scrypt_fmt.c (I'm using the same code
from escrypt that you attached in you first mail).

I'm working on my own git repo(https://github.com/LordRafa/jonh1.8.0),
should I move to another one?

Also I need to know the if this are the targets for my gsoc project:

For the first half of the summer:
  First, implement scrypt in host mode.
  Second, experiment with scrypt time-memory tradeoff.
  Third, move it to epiphany.

For the second half of the summer(early August or maybe before?) :
  Fourth, implement epiphany based Litecoin mining.
  Fifth, implement descrypt on Parallella.

in oder to fix the gsoc project description.

Furthermore I need to know the next task, yesterday you told me about
interleaving and opencl, may you tell me more about those tasks? is it
time-memory tradeoff related?

My apologies, I'm a little bit lost but now that I finished my degree I can
work on this project the whole day.

Best regards,
Rafa.

2013/6/24 Rafael Waldo Delgado Doblas <lord.rafa@...il.com>

> Sorry, I forget to tell that I'm using only host cpu, working with the
> reference implementation contained in escrypt-0.0.35.tar.gz.
>

> 2013/6/24 Yaniv Sapir <yaniv@...pteva.com>
>
>> Rafael,
>>
>> It is really hard to tell if this is an expected result when we don't
>> know much about *how* you integrated the Epiphany in (if at all... are you
>> running on the host alone?)
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Rafael Waldo Delgado Doblas <
>> lord.rafa@...il.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Finally, I have added the scrypt format based on escrypt sources. I get
>>> a really poor performance on parallella, 0.7 c/s, is it normal?.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Rafael

>> --
>> Yaniv Sapir
>> Adapteva Inc.
>> 1666 Massachusetts Ave, Suite 14
>> Lexington, MA 02420
>> Phone: (781)-328-0513 (x104)
>> Email: yaniv@...pteva.com
>> Web: www.adapteva.com
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain information
>> that is confidential and proprietary to Adapteva, and Adapteva hereby
>> designates the information in this e-mail as confidential. The
>> information is
>>  intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If
>> you are
>> not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
>> copying,
>> distribution or use of any of the information contained in this
>> transmission is
>> strictly prohibited and that you should immediately destroy this e-mail
>> and its
>> contents and notify Adapteva.

Content of type "text/html" skipped

View attachment "scrypt_fmt.c" of type "text/x-csrc" (6445 bytes)