Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 19:38:03 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Generic format names

On 30 May, 2013, at 19:11 , "jfoug" <jfoug@....net> wrote:
> From: magnum Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:50
>> Sure... but for consistence you should be able to say:
>>
>> 	$ ./john --list=subformats -form=dynamic_2* or
>> 	$ ./john --list=format-details -form=dynamic_2*
>>
>> They give wrong outputs in different ways. I'd expect to get the list but
>> only for the subset of dynamic_2, dynamic_20, 21 and so on. This doesn't
>> work because dynamic has it's own "register all" that is not currently
>> handling wildcards. Looks a little tricky to me, with scanf for "%d" and
>> stuff. Would you like to have a shot or should I try to come up with a fix?
>
> I have never looked at, or even knew it was available (the wildcard
> filtering).  It probably should not be 'all' that hard to add to the
> -subformats type request.  But I do not know if I have time immediately to
> do this.

It looks like there are two issues: One is that subformat will list all formats, registered or not. The other is that dynamic_Register_formats() always register either one specific format, or all formats. It should also be able to register ones that match a wildcard. But frankly I see little use for this, it might be more about consistency than anything else.

magnum