Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 10:41:35 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 333 (half-badass number?)

On 05/30/2013 10:23 AM, magnum wrote:
> On 30 May, 2013, at 9:26 , Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/30/2013 12:41 AM, magnum wrote:
>>> In bleeding, there is limited wildcard and class support since some time, for example:
>>>
>>> ../run/john -test -format:cpu
>>> ../run/john -t -form:gpu
>>> ../run/john -t -form:cuda
>>> ../run/john -t -form:opencl
>>
>> Is there an easy way to test whether --format=cpu|gpu|opencl|cuda is
>> supported or not? (So that I can provide bash completion if it is
>> supported, but don't suggest completions that aren't supported?
>> Should I just check --list=build-info and enable it if the format
>> interface version is >= 11 and we have a jumbo version?
>
> Actually it also works in unstable.

OK, I can check --list=build-info and try to parse john's the version
string if format interface version is 9 and assume that it is supported
if format interface version >= 10.

Or people who use a jumbo version <= 1.7.9-jumbo-8 just have to live
with the fact that bash completion (currently) lacks support for some of
the features.

When do we release 1.7.9-jumbo-8?
May be I find some time to implement this during the weekend.

> Not sure what to test for, I never thought of that. Perhaps I should add a cryptic hint to usage blob:
>
> --format=NAME             force hash type NAME: AFS LM RAR5 agilekeychain
>
> --format=NAME[*]          force hash type NAME: AFS LM RAR5 agilekeychain
>
> ...and if the latter is seen, there is also a --list=format-classes (to be implemented).

No, I don't like this.
If we need to implement anything, we can come up with a variable
(similar to format flags) not intended to be human readable (unless some
user complains) and gets printed in the --list=build-info screen.

As long as there is just one feature (supports format classes and
generic format names) mapped to that variable, it might look a bit silly:

Supported features: 00000001

But that will certainly change over time.

Frank