Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 19:28:01 -0300
From: Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new dev box wishes

On 26-05-2013 18:09, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 04:31:50PM -0300, Claudio Andr? wrote:
> Do we really want a GTX 690, knowing that it's relatively slow for our
> purpose as compared to GTX 590 or two 580's?
I'm only interested on the multi-GPU stuff with Nvidia. Any GTX 550 on
sale seems perfect.

> What APU would you want to see there, and why?

Once i saw a user trying to use some APU with JtR (for md5crypt-opencl,
sha51crypt-opencl and a few more opencl stuff). I got the feeling that
it (JtR) could do better. Of course, it could be cheap hardware running
on notebooks. Since then i have a desire to put my hands on one.

Some points to clarify:
- this hybrid HW seems to be important from now on. At least on
development coutries (i guess).
- since any CPU is ok (?), why not an APU?

> We'll want a CPU with AVX2 when these become available for purchase.
So, APU is offlist.

Claudio