Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 17:42:28 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 333 (half-badass number?)

---- Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 1:25 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> > Just a random note:
> >
> > I see we now have 333 formats in bleeding-jumbo. That is *without* building CUDA or OpenCL. It was well under 300 some days ago unless I'm mistaken. Pretty amazing. I have some faint memory of being impressed with 100 formats not more than two (I think) years ago.

Many of them for dyna are 'made up', more for testing functionality of dyna, then for finding passwords, :)

> Here is a random feature request,
>
> It would be great to have support for cracking partial hashes (substr stuff).
>
> Combined with the support for cracking chained algorithms (in the
> dynamic format) this feature would be awesome.

Yes, I have been thinking of 'how' to do this. I do imagine that sooner or later, I am going to have to add some way to add variables to dyna, and add functions with parameters.  But since dyna is a very very simple script language, that currently walks an array of function pointers, calling each one as it goes.

It might be possible to do by making some int variables (each var would need to be an array, that is omp_num_threads), and then the only param function would need to be a variable setter function.   I just need to spend a little more time thinking about this one, but yes, this IS on my todo list.  But when I do it, I want to make sure it is very usable, while also very fast.

Jim.