Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 16:21:17 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII characters in various files -- core and jumbo

On 7 May, 2013, at 16:00 , Alexander Cherepanov <cherepan@...me.ru> wrote:
> There are some non-ascii chars in various files and not everything is in the same encoding.
>
> 1. Core.
>
> There is only one non-ascii char in core tree -- in "R<E9>mi Guyomarch" in doc/CREDITS. If this is in iso-8859-1 then it translates to RĂ©mi Guyomarch. Isn't it better to convert it to utf-8 or to pure ascii form?

This is for Solar to decide, but my vote would be UTF-8.

> 2. Jumbo.
>
> - There are some places where non-ascii char can easily be eliminated -- patches attached.

As long as they are UTF-8 I do not think they need to be fixed. The pass_gen.pl fix is probably good though, for avoiding accidental trashing.

> - There are multiple names in utf-8. This is probably Ok.

It is the canonical character set nowadays. If my name had non-ascii characters I would hate having it mangled in some inferior and ambigous encoding.

> - There are two strings of lower- and upper-case letters from iso-8859-1 in doc/RULES. They are -- surprise:-) -- in iso-8859-1. IMHO it's better to remove them or to convert the file to utf-8.

Actually, earlier today I converted doc/RULES to UTF-8 independantly of your findings :-)

> - src/encoding_data.h contains many chars in utf-8. It's probably Ok to have one files where all such stuff lives.

Yes, that file is clearly documented as being supposed to be UTF-8.

> - src/rules.c contains several comments with non-ascii chars copied from src/encoding_data.h. Not sure, maybe remove them or non-ascii chars?

Replacing them with some other characters would totally void their meaning :-)
We could drop them though. I really don't think we need to.

I'll apply some, most, maybe all of your patches.

magnum