Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 16:47:26 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Yet more crashes

Dynamic cannot be 'fixed' to be crash proof.  Since any user can create any
format, bad or not, there is simply no way, unless dynamic checked every
byte written, each time, which would cripple the format.

I could chase my tail forever, fixing specifically formatted purposeful
garbage, only to have the format still be just as open as it is today.
Anyone can create a dynamic script that crashes.   Here is an example, there
are infinite number of these ;)

[List.Generic:dynamic_1666]
Expression=md5(BOOM)
Func=DynamicFunc__clean_input
Func=DynamicFunc__append_salt
Func=DynamicFunc__append_salt
Func=DynamicFunc__append_salt
Func=DynamicFunc__append_salt
Func=DynamicFunc__append_salt
Func=DynamicFunc__append_salt
#... 100's or 1000's of same append.
Func=DynamicFunc__append_salt
Func=DynamicFunc__crypt_md5
Test=$dynamic_1666$57200e13b490d4ae47d5e19be026b057$bigSaltValueHere:test1

Jim.

From: Alexander Cherepanov [mailto:cherepan@...me.ru]

On 2013-05-02 23:31, magnum wrote:
> On 2 May, 2013, at 20:46 , Dhiru Kholia<dhiru.kholia@...il.com>  wrote:
>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Lukas Odzioba<lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
wrote:

>>> Patch attached.
>>
>> Committed to bleeding-jumbo. Thanks!
>
> I committed it to unstable in almost the same minute, and then found it
already committed to bleeding - but git recognized it as the same :-)

Great, the following formats still crash:

dynamic_21
pkzip
sxc
rar
sunmd5

plus undrop crashes, plus some formats spills garbage etc.

Everything attached.

--
Alexander Cherepanov