Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:16:45 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: revised incremental mode and charset files

On 26 Apr, 2013, at 22:16 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> I intend to use only RockYou for the new .chr files, perhaps with some
> simple and documented filtering applied to it (perhaps in the form of
> revised external mode filters).  This will let JtR users regenerate the
> same .chr files, or make minor adjustments and then regenerate the files -
> as long as the RockYou list is available for download somewhere (and I
> expect that it will remain available).

So why not add make targets for the chr files. Or I can do it in Jumbo, they would be handy right now while code is changing. They'd need a rockyou.txt that we don't supply though.

Also, I'm thinking we might want to do something like this:
* all.chr is actually made with filter_ascii, to be more like the old one.
* a new one, utf8.chr, is made with no filter (assuming pure junk was already removed/filtered, if we care about that).
* and a new ansi.chr is made from same data as utf8, but converted to CP1252.

With corresponding entries in john.conf, this will make some sense. --inc=utf8 and --inc:ansi are intuitive, and just -inc will be much like before (albeit with different training).

Btw I added filter_ascii and filter_alnum-case in bleeding yesterday. The latter is like alnum but using upper & lower case, and also includes space.

magnum