Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 00:24:07 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: src/ licensing

Claudio, magnum, Jim, Frank, all -

FYI, in case this was not clear by now, my intent is to cut down on the
use of GPL in JtR tree.  Ideally, no files added in jumbo should be
GPL'ed.  Out of my own source files, I'll probably keep only a bare
minimum of "JtR heart" files GPL'ed, re-licensing the rest under the
cut-down BSD license.  Such re-licensing started to happen with the
introduction of new DES S-box functions, at which time I licensed not
only them, but also the rest of x86 and x86-64 assembly code for
bitslice DES (including key setup and such) under the cut-down BSD
license.  Now I intend to take this much further.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 02:21:38PM -0300, Claudio Andr? wrote:
> Hi, I haven't seen '-ng' files, why? This is unstable, right?

As you've already figured out, this is 1.7.9-jumbo-7 - a rather old
version, but still our latest numbered release.  I needed licensing
detail like this initially for a released version of jumbo, and only
then for our current stuff (but I don't have time to proceed to
similarly review it now - I'd appreciate help with that).

> Em 18-04-2013 21:55, Solar Designer escreveu:
> >cryptsha512_kernel_AMD.cl       cut-down BSD; Lukas, Claudio; code
> Why cut-down BSD?

That's what the file itself says, in 1.7.9-jumbo-7.

I see that you've since switched to GPLv2.  Why?

> 1. common-opencl* files has some public domain license in it (i
> suppose). So, i'm following it.

In bleeding, it has our cut-down BSD license on it, but it doesn't
specify the full list of copyright holders - we'll need to figure out
who they are, list them there, and indeed make sure they're OK with
their code licensed under such terms.

> 2. to all 'my' format files and OpenCL files i used GPLv2.

OK, we will respect your preference if we have to (just like we respect
Samuele's), but why?

Alexander