Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:00:44 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: doc/ licensing

I would like to change all of these to 'public domain + XXXX fallback;'
XXXX being whatever is best for the project.    What steps would I need to
do to get these into this licensing?  Is the 'pub domain + cut-down BSD
fallback' good?

Here would be my take on what was presented:

DYNAMIC                       public domain + cut-down BSD fallback; JimF;
documentation, code; includes configuration samples, which arguably are
"code"
DYNAMIC_SCRIPTING             public domain + cut-down BSD fallback; JimF;
documentation, code; includes configuration samples, which arguably are
"code"
pass_gen.Manifest             public domain + cut-down BSD fallback; JimF,
magnum; documentation; The license here should apply to both this file and
to pass_gen.pl in ../run

dynamic.conf                  public domain + cut-down BSD fallback; JimF;
code;
pass_gen.pl                   public domain + cut-down BSD fallback; JimF,
magnum; code

I may need to make changes to get the licensing correct, but that is what it
'should' be.

If this is good enough licensing "public domain + cut-down BSD fallback;"
then I will work to get all of my code done that way.  I cannot do that in
all cases, since some of my work, has been modification of others work.
However, I will work to get all of my original code to be licensed in the
same way.     Could I do this by making a ./docs/JimF.license file, then
have all of my code refer to that document??  Then within that file, have a
pair of sections.  One covering code that was my original work, and another
clause covering modifications I have made to other persons code?   Also, it
might be good to have a ./license/ folder. Then within that folder, each
developer could have his own licensing file?

I cannot speak for others, but having to worry about licensing, and waste my
time with it, is NOT what I want to be doing.  I would much rather simply
have 1 file that made these type statements, and then within each file,
simply list that I wrote it (or modified it), and refer all licensing back
to that licensing statement.  I code on JtR for joy of digging into obscure
code, NOT for caring about the licensing.  Yes, we know Solar does have
different priorities, but as a dev/hacker on this toolchain, I personally
really do not care, and would rather not have to waste my time on this every
year or two.

Jim.

From: Solar Designer Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:02

>filename space-padded to 30   license; copyright holders; file type; notes
>
>DYNAMIC                       unclear; JimF; documentation, code; includes
configuration samples, which arguably are "code"
>DYNAMIC_SCRIPTING             unclear; JimF; documentation, code; includes
configuration samples, which arguably are "code"
>pass_gen.Manifest             public domain + cut-down BSD fallback; JimF,
magnum; documentation; we should make it clearer whether the notice at the
start of pass_gen.Manifest applies to this documentation file itself or/and
to the corresponding code (the current interpretation is that it applies to
both)

>dynamic.conf                  unclear; JimF; code, documentation; includes
configuration samples, which arguably are "code"
>pass_gen.pl                   public domain + cut-down BSD fallback; JimF,
magnum; code; the copyright notice and license are in doc/pass_gen.Manifest