Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 06:26:18 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Google Summer of Code 2013 (GSoC)

Hi,

As many of you are aware, Openwall participated in Google Summer of Code
(GSoC) in 2011 and 2012.  As those of you who follow @Openwall or me
(@solardiz) on Twitter are aware, Openwall is a mentoring organization
for Google Summer of Code 2013 as well:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/openwall

Here are our proposed ideas for students' summer projects:

http://openwall.info/wiki/ideas

This year, in part because of our limited mentoring capacity, we're
offering fewer project ideas to new contributors, and we're looking for
some extraordinary people.  That said, like in prior years, students
are welcome to propose creative and relevant ideas of their own, and
"veteran" contributors to our projects are encouraged to propose further
work on projects that we're not offering to "newbies" this summer.

For those not familiar with Google Summer of Code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

Nmap project (http://nmap.org/soc/) summarizes GSoC as follows:
"This innovative and extraordinarily generous program provides $5,000
stipends to 1,000+ college and graduate students to create and enhance
open source software during their summer break.  Students gain valuable
experience, get paid, strengthen their resume, and write code which will
be distributed freely and used by millions of people!"

If you're thinking about applying as a student, please contact us now.
The student application period will officially open on April 22 at 19:00
UTC, and will close on May 3, also at 19:00 UTC.

Of course, we welcome contributors outside of the GSoC program as well.

Please do contact us if you're interested.

Alexander