Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:53:09 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [patch] sse/xop implementation of raw-sha256

On 10 Apr, 2013, at 14:30 , <jfoug@....net> wrote:
> You might want to look at the cmp_all function.  I think things are not what they seem, and the code is always returning true, then using the current cmp_one logic.  The tmp value is always 0000 for non matches and fffff for matches.  Then what is returned is a short int where all 0 words are converted to a f and all ffff words converted to a 0.  So if all 4 hashes were cracked at once, then cmp_all would return 0.  Otherwise cmp_all is always returning some non-zero value.

There's something fishy allright. I added a commit that boost it by another 10% from optimizations in set_key(). Then another commit that adds max-length test vectors and that make the format fail (even from an empty string). The failures have nothing to do with my set_key() patch - they happen even without it.

magnum