Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:36:26 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: makefile, build (cygwin)

>From some testing I have done, there may be no reason at all for keeping the
PROJ_WIN32 stuff (only used in cygwin builds).

I have change to using the PROJ, and Cygwin builds just fine.  It creates ln
-s files, each pointing to john.  Yes, there is no extension in the symlink,
but it works perfectly (at least on my builds).

Also tested, a make clean, and everything got clean up just fine. I removed
the PROJ_WIN32, and PROJ_WIN32_MINGW from the rm -f make clean line, just to
check a few things out. All of the .exe files were properly removed on a
make clean.  The exe files in the run dir were:

calc_stat.exe

genmkvpwd.exe

gpg2john.exe

john.exe

keystore2john.exe    (was not being build using PROJ_WIN32, but IS part of
PROJ)

mkvcalcproba.exe

raw2dyna.exe

tgtsnarf.exe        (was not being build using PROJ_WIN32)

truecrypt_volume2john.exe   (was not being build using PROJ_WIN32)

uaf2john.exe    (was not being build using PROJ_WIN32)

wpapcap2john

All of those files were getting cleaned up properly with make clean, even
without ../run/calc_stat.exe being on the rm -f line (../run/calc_stat was
on the rm -f line).

We might want to look at Cygwin requirements again.  On my install, the
normal unix ln -s method, and lack of .exe was working just fine (i.e. the
PROJ rule only).  Probably too late for J8, but should be on the radar for
later builds.

I do not have a buildable mingw environment anymore, so have no way of
knowing if the mingw requires the PROJ_WIN32_MINGW, but I imagine it does.
I do not think mingw would handle the .exe'less naming properly, and am not
sure if symlinks would work. Also, symlinking to john vs john.exe may not
work.  I really do not have answers at this time.

The changes I made to the make file, were:

1. remove the PROJ_WIN32 (not needed)

2. change each Cygwin target to use $(PROJ) instead of $(PROJ_WIN32)

3. remove $(PROJ_WIN32) from the make clean

One thing I have disliked for a long time, is the Win32 symlink executable
program.  Using a real symlink avoids some strange behavior, when it comes

Jim.

Content of type "text/html" skipped