Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:45:00 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: makefile, build (cygwin)

One note, changes like this would only build useable exe files, that run
using the cygwin shell.  The symlinks would not work properly under a plain
Win32 cmd.   However, the unix symlink model is far from correct on win32 as
it is. There are some environmental, and stdin/stdout strangeness from using
the symlink.c method.   I personally copy john.exe to whatever name I need
(such as copy john.exe unique.exe).  If done that way, all of the strange
behaviors go away.

So the loss of PROJ_WIN32 may not be possible, who knows.

Jim.

From: jimf Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013 12:36

All of those files were getting cleaned up properly with make clean, even
without ../run/calc_stat.exe being on the rm -f line (../run/calc_stat was
on the rm -f line).

We might want to look at Cygwin requirements again.  On my install, the
normal unix ln -s method, and lack of .exe was working just fine (i.e. the
PROJ rule only).  Probably too late for J8, but should be on the radar for
later builds.

Content of type "text/html" skipped