Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 01:20:02 +0100
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: basename portability 'fix'.

2013/3/19 magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>:
> Parts of your patch has CRLF and parts of it does not. This made git disregard most of it as "whitespace errors" :-)  Also, I get this:
>
> misc.c: In function 'jtr_basename_r':
> misc.c:199:19: warning: variable 'name' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
> misc.c: In function 'jtr_basename_r':
> misc.c:199:19: warning: variable 'name' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
>
> I guess we can just drop all statements that declare or set name?

1) I think so, and moreover in my opinion it would be better if we
change param from _name to just name;
2) I really am not convinced that we need two versions of this
function. Since it is not performance critical I would leave just
thread safe one.
3) Great job, thx!

> If this is safer than our portability workarounds, I suppose Lukas could merge it to his get_basename() code that also strips an arbitrary list of extensions.

Merging may be not a good idea after all. Maybe it would be better to
create: strip_extensions(name,ext,num); and call this like that:
strip_extensions(jtr_basename(path),ext,num);

Lukas