Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 07:47:36 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com, deepika dutta <deepikadutta_19@...oo.com>
Subject: Re: mschapv2-bitsliced conversion- openmp support

Hi Deepika,

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 07:12:34AM -0800, deepika dutta wrote:
> Actually, I worked on coverting the DES_bs_crypt_plain(), which I had added to do single DES encryption, into SSE implementation.  I have added this function into the x86-sse.S file. Since the code in this file was in assembly language, I tried some copy-pasting from previous code and added some assembly code myself to get the single DES encryption working. I compiled this program using linux-x86-64 option, everything is working fine and the latest banchmarks for bitsliced implementation are given below. You can test for yourself. The patch is attached.

This is cool, but (un)fortunately we've just revised the MSCHAPv2 format
such that it does not depend on speed of DES encryption anymore - see
the "NetNTLMv1 and MSCHAPv2" thread in here.  So I'm afraid there's no
point in introducing your changes to that format now (nor would they
apply to the revised code).

However, the changes to general DES code (and the experience you've
gained!) may be reusable for other DES-based formats, which do not use
bitslice DES yet.  You may pick one of those and try to switch it to
using the bitslice implementation.

Please announce any such planned work in here first, to avoid nasty
surprises (like the problem already being worked on by someone else).

Thanks,

Alexander