Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 12:06:13 -0500
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
Subject: Re: Speeding up WPAPSK, by leveraging salt shortcomings

---- magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 Feb, 2013, at 14:18 , jfoug <jfoug@....net> wrote:
> > Here is the patch.
>
> Patch is applied. It works like a champ! This is Good Stuff. Nice and clean, I see no reason not to introduce such a method pointer to the struct. But until then, we have it for wpapsk formats.

The real 'key' here, was the insight magnum  had to keep the original flow logic within JtR, but to simply make some small changes within crypt_all, so that it would remember the special information from the last salt tried.  This touch of persistence was all that was needed, to have crypt_all skip doing the VERY time consuming step when it was not needed to be done, but to do the 'fast' step needed for each salt.

Getting the salt items sorted (this patch) was pretty simple.  I tried to make this sorting to be as 'clean' as we can get it.  Even now, when we do not have the needed method in our format structure, it still is pretty clean, and should not impact any format that would not benefit from a sorted salt list.

Jim.