Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:44:17 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Speeding up WPAPSK, by leveraging salt shortcomings

On 30 Jan, 2013, at 13:30 , Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> On 01/30/2013 09:31 AM, magnum wrote:
>> We could add a john.conf option ShowUIDinCracks = Bool, that when set will add the uid to the crack output. So instead of the normal real-time crack output:
>>
>> password123      (Administrator)
>> sesame           (root)
>> Induction        (netgear)
>>
>> We'll get this:
>>
>> password123      (Administrator:500)
>> sesame           (root:0)
>> Induction        (netgear:31-33-7b-ab-e5-00)
>>
>> ...or something like that (for this output, using dashes is better than not when storing BSSID). Something similar could be done to --show using the same config option.
>
> What about
> ShowFieldsInCracks = [all|All|ALL|coma_separated_list_of_fields]
> Valid field names could be listed in the john.conf comment.
>
> Then, we do have just one additional option, but more flexibility with
> only a little additional effort.
>
> We could even use two different config options for crack output and
> --show output, and use the current list of fields as default values for
> these config options.

I looked into it. Unfortunately neither of this can be done without increasing memory footprint. The uid field is not kept after loading. Only the two first fields are, as well as Single wordlist if applicable.

I also looked into doing something in prepare() within the format but it turns out it can read all fields but only modify field 2 (the hash itself).

magnum