Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 12:23:43 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: getopt limitation - or bug?

Solar,

We've had to work around a limitation in John's getopt a couple of times and it just hit me this might actually be a bug that could/should be fixed in core:

For example, you can have two options --format and --fork and they can be abbreviated down to --form and --fork. This is fine.

But if you have --markov and --markov-stats (the complete former being a subset of the latter), the shorter option will "disappear". --markov will not work at all, but --markov-stats will.

I think getopt should support this, or at least detect the problem and warn or bail.

magnum