Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:01:43 +0000
From: shane Shane <shane@...twareontheside.info>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PDF format incompatibility (jumbo-7 vs. jumbo-8)

> The other alternative would be to completely drop the new style and just
> continue to use the old-style format $pdf$Standard, if all hashes
> supported by the current version could be converted into that format.

Unfortunately I don't think we could stick with the older format because
there's no where in it for the OE and UE strings in the later
PDF specifications.

The think the simplest solution is to validate the older hashes and then
convert them to the new format. I don't mind writing the code to do it. I'm
not that familiar with the internals of john but from what I can gather
from reading the code that uses the prepare method, prepare would be the
best place to do this. Is it always called before valid?

Regards,

Shane

Content of type "text/html" skipped