Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:23:36 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PDF format incompatibility (jumbo-7 vs. jumbo-8)

On 01/24/2013 05:00 PM, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Frank Dittrich
>> If all information is there, it should be possible to write a prepare()
>> function which converts the old-style hash into the new one.
>
> Yes, it is possible. Why can't we handle old-style hashes in valid and
> get_salt instead of prepare?

I think if you handle this in valid(), you would continue to write
old-style hashes to the pot file, because you use fmt_default_split.

Not that this wouldn't work in this case (because probably no other
format claims $pdf$Standard hashes), but I think the preferable solution
is to have one canonical hash representation and use this for .pot.

The other alternative would be to completely drop the new style and just
continue to use the old-style format $pdf$Standard, if all hashes
supported by the current version could be converted into that format.

This could be the less confusing solution for users. Not sure how much
that would impact development, especially taking care of possible future
versions of PDF passwords.

Let's see what other developers suggest.

Frank