Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 20:56:10 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --list= handling moved out of john.c

On 15 Jan, 2013, at 20:27 , Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> On 01/15/2013 07:55 PM, magnum wrote:
>> You now have two functions. As stated in listconf.h:
>>
>> /* Suboptions that can be used before full initialization, like --list=help */
>> void listconf_parse_early(void);
>>
>> /* Suboptions that depend on full initialization, like --list=externals */
>> void listconf_parse_late(void);

> 1.
> Should print_hidden_usage() move out of options.c into listconf.c (as a
> static function)?

In my opinion, no. Currently, all usage output is in options.c. For some time it wasn't (print_hidden_usage() was in john.c) and that made for mistakes.

> 2.
> Should we enhance listconf_list_method_names() to include "source" for
> FMT_MAIN_VERSION > 9?
> Function listconf_parse_late() would need to be enhanced as well, to
> handle "source" for FMT_MAIN_VERSION > 9.
>
> Then, it should work for bleeding-jumbo as well.

There is no point in committing any such thing to unstable but we could do it to bleeding. Then we'd need no ifdefs for that matter. By the way, bleeding will soon have FMT_MAIN_VERSION 11.

> One more remark regarding the copyright notice in listconf.c.
> Currently, it says:
> Copyright (c) 2012, 2013 Frank Dittrich and magnum
>
> Checkout 558208dcdd543881ed25de95d8bc43e140026d02 or an earlier commit
> and do a
>
> git blame john.c
>
> You'll see that JimF also contributed a lot of code which now got moved
> into listconf.c, e.g., the --list=format-methods handling, and some
> adjustments to --list=format-details and --format-all-details.

Ah, yes. I'll add him.

magnum