Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 18:49:04 -0300
From: Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Office2013 OpenCL

Sorry, the complete message below.

2012/10/4 Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>:
> 2012/10/4 magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>:
>>
>> I just committed an OpenCL Office 2013 format, using your SHA-512 (but optimised for loop use). It works fine on nvidias and CPU but fails self-test on HD7970. I think the code is fine so it may be some kind of driver bug that has to be worked around. If you have some spare time, please have a look.
>
> I will.
> Just for fun, let me tell you a story. I wasted a couple of day trying
> to figure out what i was doing wrong in the split task. After a lot of
> debugging i realized there is a bug in 12.6 AMD driver/compiler or
> whatever. Remenber i was running on my 6770 (not new) hardware,
> updated driver, etc.
>
> I saw you committed some "work around" for RAR on OSX.
> It is sad we are fighting so hard with AMD and NVIDIA (and APPLE?) software.
>

>> BTW it does around 44 million SHA-2 per second on the 570 and over 75 million on HD7970. Are those speeds fair or lousy? There is a huge need for private memory so I have no idea how to get it faster.
>
> Well, i tried once to compare raw 512 and 512crypt. Then, i realized
> that on sha512crypt i measure rounds (not 'digest' operations,
> 'neigher' blocks operations). Not sure if i am clear here, but your
> number seems to be ok if i can compare your solution with mine.
> Anyway, i will try to think about it while looking at the code.
And yes, the pressure for registers is enormous. I haven't found any shortcuts.

BTW: Sayantan kindly tried the split kernels on no_byte_addressable hardware.
Responsiveness was not good for 256crypt, neither 512crypt. Just in
case you guys found a doubt on john users someday. It is something i
expect.