Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:11:23 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Some more external mode definitions

On 2012-07-23 15:14, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> I prepared a patch to rename maxlen to cipher_limit, because that is the
> name that has a better chance to be accepted for core jumbo.

This is marginally useful as we're not sure cipher_limit will be the
final name anyway. When Solar changes core, I'll probably need to sort
things out no matter what we call it. But sure, go ahead.

> I've cloned your github repository, and will soon(ish) send a pull request.
>
> Just to be sure I don't mess up:
>
> Since the maxlen change was not in 1.7.9-jumbo-6-fixes, but in
> magnum-jumbo and bleeding-jumbo, I'll make a change for magnum-jumbo,
> and will push it into the magnum-jumbo branch of my forked github
> repository.
> Once that is done, I send a pull request, and you'll (hopefully) commit
> the change to your repository, at least into magnum-jumbo and
> bleeding-jumbo.

Correct. Actually I will pull it to magnum-jumbo and then merge the
downstream branches (bleeding and contest).

> What is the correct way to integrate the changes from your repository
> https://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo into my github repository?
> Do I git pull (or fetch/merge) from upstream (your github repository) to
> my local repository, and then push that into my github repository?
> (At least that is what I think I have to do.)

Yes, you pull, but if you have local commits already, you can "git pull
--rebase" in order to avoid an unneccesary merge in the resulting
history (which I'm not sure is handled well when composing the pull
request). This will change your local history though, so if you already
pushed those local commits to your GitHub repo too, you need to use "git
push -f" when you push it to there.

> Since I prefer not to push changes into your repository without a chance
> for others to review them, I'll include the patch inlined at the end of
> my mail.

You wont push directly anyway. When you send a pull request, the one
accepting it (usually me or Dhiru) can/should review it. Having said
that, it's not a bad idea to show it here too.

magnum