Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 9:09:19 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
Subject: Re: Make some more --list= commands work despite a
 broken config

I believe this happens, here, and in the other examples, due to JtR calling  the format structure building function within dynamic.  That function builds every possible format structure for dynamic.  Normal formats have the compiler to build their data structures.  Dynamic does not.  It does have a dummy data structure, but the real stuff is allocated into an array, the dummy is copied to each array element, and then the specifics for each sub format are changed in each data object.

Thus, for almost all runs, these structures are going to be built.

About the only way to change this behavior, is to move the code in question to run at an earlier time within JtR's runtime, if that can be done.

But any run that is going to call john_register_all() is going to behave like this.