Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 01:02:14 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: XSHA512 in Test Suite (was: Latest TS for GPU)

On 2012-07-01 03:42, myrice wrote:
> We don't have xsha512.in in TS. I also tested
> them(xsha512-cuda/opencl) and believe them also reliable now. So can
> we remove  "unreliable, will miss guesses" in these format also?

We do now. CUDA passes in 13 seconds and the "unreliable" is now removed
from the format name. I'm still testing OpenCL. For some reason it takes
AGES.

A problem is that TS loads 1500 passwords with 1500 different salts and
the dictionary that will crack all of them fits in your GWS of 2M. This
is not very realistic and is known to slow down some other test cases
too, even on CPU. But why doesn't the CUDA format suffer much from this
at all? It has a mkpc of 512K.

Also, I noticed this:

$ ../run/john --list=format-all-details | grep -A3 xsha512-cuda
Format label                    	xsha512-cuda
Max. password length in bytes   	125
Min. keys per crypt             	524288
Max. keys per crypt             	524288

You only support a password length up to 16 characters, so why are you
announcing 125? I do not understand your use of MAX_PLAINTEXT_LENGTH in
the code.

magnum