Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 23:14:01 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.9-jumbo-6

On 2012-06-26 23:03, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:03:43PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> AFAIK we can release now.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> There are problems with some GPUs and some GPU
>> formats that we know but that's no blocker to me.
>
> Can you post a list of those?  Can/should we possibly list them in doc/BUGS?

mscash-cuda and mscash2-cuda cracks 2/3 or 3/4 of candidates (in Test
Suite mind you, maybe they are near 100% in real life), but we already
got this:
#define ALGORITHM_NAME          "CUDA, unreliable, may miss guesses"

For 7970, I don't even know what formats work or not. I have given up on
that card for now.

We could state in the "announcement" that this is the first release with
GPU support so some formats are quirky/buggy and/or slower than they
will be later. That might also prevent people from testing once and
disregard john for all future because it's slower than hashcat.

magnum