Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:54:15 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RFC: Add --list=format-details support?

On 06/20/2012 01:32 AM, magnum wrote:
> My very personal and spontaneous reflections are:
>
> - I'd like a header showing what the columns mean (I had to look at the
> source to figure out FMT_FLAGS).

I am not sure about this, because it means extra effort for machine
parsing. Plus, someone could expect users of this feature to parse the
first line to figure out what information is listed in which column, and
just change the order in which the information is printed.

> - I'd like min left of max (not very important, just my reflection).

Sure, that should be changed.
Moving format_name into the last column could also be a good idea,
because this is probably the column with the largest variety of output
length. If we move it to the end, the other columns will be a little bit
more aligned on the screen.

> For human-readable output it would be better to see individual flags,
> like UTF8 yes/no, but that would produce a very wide output. You could
> at least output the flags in binary. Or just leave it as-is and say it's
> for machine parsing.
>
> Just thinking out loud, we could have multi-line output but that would
> not help machine-parsing at all:
>
> Format label:        hmac-md5
> Format name:         HMAC MD5
> Algorithm:           128/128 SSE2 intrinsics 12x
> Plaintext length:    125
> Flags:               case-sensitive, 8-bit
> Min. keys per crypt: 12
> Max. keys per crypt: 12

We could have both:
and
--list=format-details[:[1|h|H|Human|human]]
--list=format-details:[0|m|M] or --list=format-details:[^1hH]*

Then, we:d just make sure the columns appear in the same sequence

Or, we use the machine readable output for --list=formats
and the human readable for --list=format-details,
allowing --list=format-details:rar to mean: show information just for
rar format instead of all formats.

Frank