Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 21:08:30 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ./john --markov=399:9876543210987654321:12345678901234567890:30
 error

On 06/10/2012 07:48 PM, jfoug@....net wrote:
> ---- Frank Dittrich wrote:
> I have never really liked the 'huge' numbers in markov myself, but do know why simon wrote it that way.
>
> I had always thought it would be better to have some percentage.  So it would be like this:
>
> --markov=399:0:10:30
> --markov=399:10:20:30
> --markov=399:90:100:30
>
> This would split up the first 10% of the candidates into the first run, and so on.  The nice thing about this, is no matter how many candidates there are totally to do, the percentage does what is needed.  No need to precompute the counts, and do the division by hand.
>
> If we had percentage start-stop, then
>
> --markov=299:0:10:30
> --markov=299:10:20:30
> --markov=299:90:100:30
>
> would work just a good as the runs which were at 399 level.
>
> I have thought about doing something like this in markov, but have not ventured any further than thinking about it.

To make Markov more even more complex, we could even add support for
--markov=299:0%:10%:30

Even if this is lower priority, compared to the bugs that have to be
fixed and the other enhancements that have already been discussed.

Nevertheless, I tested what happens if you use --markov=399:1%:2%:30

$ ./john --markov=399:1%:2%:30 --stdout

It is the same as for

$ ./john --markov=399:1:2:30 --stdout

But
$ ./john --markov=399:1%:2%:30 --stdout
is not documented behavior

Even this "works":

$ ./john --markov=300abc --stdout |head
MKV start (lvl=300 len=12 pwd=6575102566384)
chanerererer
chanerererel
chanerereren
chanerereres
chanerereret
chanerererea
chanererered
chanererereb
chanerererec
chanerererem

I think I'll fix this as well, so that 300abc would be treated as a
Markov section name.
But first I'll fix the more important issues.

Frank