Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 16:05:16 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Magnum jumbo Cygwin errors

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> Contest bug is fixed, thanks for finding that (patch attached in case you
> need it). I have no idea why my gcc did not even warn about this!?
Thanks, didn't get this from a git repo, so I applied by hand (change
line 514 to "goto next_rule;")
Then I ran into the GOST error for the contest :)
> The magnum-jumbo problem is known (GOST clashes with newer OpenSSL). I'm not
> sure who will do this but the quickest fix is to rename gost_init() to
> jtr_gost_init() in gost_plug.c and change all references to it in
> gost_fmt_plug.c accordingly. Or, in case you don't need GOST, just move
> gost* to unused/ and re-build.
I moved to unused, and all is good for me now, I believe I saw another
patch for GOST come through as I write this so perhaps that is the
better fix, but I have no idea what GOST is so I assume I don't need
it.

Other issues (once compiled "make clean win32-cygwin-x86-sse2")
I've had some issues, I'm trying to "normalize" before I throw them
all out there, not specifying the format as far as I can tell creates
an issue in contest:
john.exe c:\jtr\combo_not.txt -fork=2 -w=c:\jtr\dict.txt -rules=single
-session=test
Warning: detected hash type "raw-sha", but the string is also
recognized as "raw-sha1"
Use the "--format=raw-sha1" option to force loading these as that type instead
Warning: excessive partial hash collisions detected
Loaded 6458020 password hashes with no different salts (Raw SHA0 [32/32])
Each node processing 1/2 of 1081 rules. (uneven split)
Self test failed (Self test failed (binary (alignment)binary (alignment)))

Same if I don't use fork, same message (self test failed). Specifying
the format (even though no other formats are detected) fixes the
issue. I'm not 100% the hashes are all being written still, I save the
stdout on the screen and compare to fresh pot files and I am sometimes
missing roughly half, other times I'm not. I think I'll just use
bleeding-jumbo since it has fork, and I believe it's chr files are for
up to 10 characters, and that branch may be better to report funkyness
about :)
-rich