Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 20:13:36 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: file synchronization backend for MJohn

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov
<aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com> wrote:
>> Supporting "after action" reports is a definite plus.
>
> We could use git only on the server just to make history (not using it
> for file transfers).
I skimmed the thread, but my 2cents are, clients copy the hashes to
the server, keep individual (pot)files named by some arbitrary/unique
ID, perhaps timestamped file names with an unique id. Cat/sort/unique
or diff them into Latest.pot at some arbitrary interval. During the
uniq/diff process you can create stats like client-x produced 100
passwords in the last 5 minutes, Client-y did not report in this
interval. This could also be a git/svn process, but each machine is
keeping some "latest-master" pot file maintained, perhaps in folders
named after each client/thread or what ever splits up the work (same
client might do a wordlist and a incremental mode in other threads).
Or again just go for simple, and "logrotate" older files
out(compressed) after stats and the "latest-master.pot" have been
created/updated. As simple as possible, but not simpler :) I'd start
with SCP and Cron, just to flesh it out.
-rich