Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 12:11:10 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: wrapper around john to track attacks and sync files

On 05/09/2012 10:49 AM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> At the moment I have wrapper that only wraps john but do not do
> anything. I implemented it using Perl because it is a nice language
> for such tasks, also it seems that much of the developers here know
> it. Is it ok to use Perl? Or should I use C for that? And what
> language should be used for final version (if it is different from
> language for draft implementation)?

For the draft implementation, perl is absolutely OK.

For the final version, I am not so sure.
Perl is still better than many other alternatives, but might not be
available on all clients.
Especially for Windows clients this might be a problem.
Several scripts in the jumbo version already require perl.
(There are even scripts in other languages, but I think Alexander tries
to get rid of additional dependencies and prefers perl.)
But these scripts are not really required to use john.

So, IMO, a final version implemented in C would be preferable.

For anything on the server side, you are probably free to choose the
language, if if is not too exotic.

> As the first step I tried IPC::Run module but under it john did not
> accept input. I think it is because john needs controlling terminal to
> accept input. So I switched to IO::Pty that do the job. As I
> understand IO::Pty should work on windows but only under cygwin. Is it
> ok to limit windows support to only cygwin? Or is native windows
> support desirable?

Unless the effort supporting native Windows clients is much higher, I'd
like to support the majority of client platforms with as little
additional installation effort as possible,

Frank