Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 12:49:19 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: wrapper around john to track attacks and sync files

I started draft implementation of a wrapper for john that will track
attacks and progress and will synchronize files before attacks. That
wrapper should be transparent: it should provide native look'n'feel of
john including ability to report progress on key press. Such behaviour
needs terminal for john because wrapper should not only wrap arguments
but also it should wrap input and output for progress reports.

At the moment I have wrapper that only wraps john but do not do
anything. I implemented it using Perl because it is a nice language
for such tasks, also it seems that much of the developers here know
it. Is it ok to use Perl? Or should I use C for that? And what
language should be used for final version (if it is different from
language for draft implementation)?

As the first step I tried IPC::Run module but under it john did not
accept input. I think it is because john needs controlling terminal to
accept input. So I switched to IO::Pty that do the job. As I
understand IO::Pty should work on windows but only under cygwin. Is it
ok to limit windows support to only cygwin? Or is native windows
support desirable?

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov