Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 18:08:48 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR compilation warnings on OS X 10.7.3 with Xcode 4.3.2

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Erik Winkler <ewinkler@...ls.com> wrote:
> Here is a solution I have seen in the aircrack-ng code.  Might be interesting to see if there is any performance benefit over OpenSSL at this point.

Hard to believe but Apple's CommonCrypto library is faster than OpenSSL on OS X.

$ gcc CommonCrypto.c; time ./a.out ; otool -L a.out

real    0m2.137s
user    0m2.115s
sys     0m0.013s
a.out:
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 159.1.0)

$ gcc OpenSSL.c -lcrypto; time ./a.out; otool -L a.out
real    0m2.754s
user    0m2.737s
sys     0m0.011s
a.out:
        /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8,
current version 44.0.0)
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 159.1.0)

Both programs do 10000000 cycles of SHA1.

Solar, magnum,

Should we start modifying code to use CommonCrypto on OS X?
(modifications are very simple to make).

--
Cheers,
Dhiru