Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 03:56:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Bitcoin miner in JtR

Hi,

A crazy idea that I had for a while is that maybe JtR could have a
config file option that would make it go into bitcoin mining mode after
completion of a cracking run (maybe only after exceeding a configurable
duration threshold, so that quick runs are not made inconvenient).  This
should be disabled by default.

There would also need to be other bitcoin-related settings (pool to
join, bitcoin address, something else? - I am not familiar with this, I
never ran a miner myself).  When bitcoin mining is explicitly enabled,
but those other nearby settings are left unaltered, then maybe the
generated bitcoins should be donated towards JtR development efforts.
(We'd need a comment in john.conf near the main enable/disable setting
clearly state that.)

Once we have the code anyway, there would also need to be a way to
invoke this mode on its own.

Finally, there will need to be a compile-time way to disable this
functionality (e.g., in case a system lacks TCP/IP networking functions
in its libc).

I don't intend to spend my own time implementing this, and I have mixed
feelings about it (extra code, extra power consumption and heat), but if
someone volunteers to do it and others in the community like the idea,
we may do it (for jumbo only, perhaps).

Alexander