Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 02:57:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: MSCash2 OpenCL (was: OpenCL tests on HD 7970)

Hi Sayantan,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 12:11:22AM +0530, SAYANTAN DATTA wrote:
> I will post a new patch soon which will incrase the speeds furthur by
> around 13%. Currently I'm trying to squeez in as many optimizations as
> possible and will be ready in a day or two. Here's a sample benchmark for
> my new codes:
>
> OpenCL platform 0: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing, 2 device(s).
> Using device 0: ATI RV770
> Benchmarking: MSCASH2-OPENCL [PBKDF2_HMAC_SHA1]... DONE
> Raw:    19277 c/s real, 19306 c/s virtual

BTW, your previous revision of the code (in magnum-jumbo as of
yesterday, perhaps same as today's), which gives 75k c/s on my 7970,
brings my card to 82 degrees Celsius (measured after 15 minutes of
running incremental mode) and 85% GPU load:

root@...l:~# XAUTHORITY=~user/.Xauthority DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --odgt

Default Adapter - AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
                  Sensor 0: Temperature - 82.00 C
root@...l:~# XAUTHORITY=~user/.Xauthority DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --odgc

                            Core (MHz)    Memory (MHz)
           Current Clocks :    925           1375
             Current Peak :    925           1375
  Configurable Peak Range : [300-1125]     [150-1575]
                 GPU load :    85%

I think this means that we're already quite close to optimal
performance, and further optimizations may be in two areas: reducing the
number of operations performed per password hashed (e.g., by making use
of bitselect() and rotate(), not re-computing common subexpressions, etc.)
and avoiding various stalls (apparently, the possible benefit here is
limited to 15% now).

For comparison, Lukas' phpass OpenCL code (that achieves around 1010K c/s
on this card) brings the reported GPU load to 93% (so it is more optimal
in that respect).

Thanks,

Alexander