Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 14:34:16 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: binary ciphertext and salt alignment

magnum, Jim -

Right now, loader.c uses MEM_ALIGN_WORD for binary ciphertexts and
salts.  I am going to adjust this such that it will use 4 when the
corresponding size (format->params.binary_size or .salt_size) is between
4 and ARCH_SIZE-1, and MEM_ALIGN_NONE if the size is less than 4.

On 64-bit:

Size 0 to 3: MEM_ALIGN_NONE (1)
Size 4 to 7: 4
Size 8 or more: MEM_ALIGN_WORD (8)

On 32-bit:

Size 0 to 3: MEM_ALIGN_NONE (1)
Size 4 or more: MEM_ALIGN_WORD (4)

I think this may actually save memory on 64-bit.

Sounds good?

Alexander