Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 10:10:33 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Recent github patches

The change coming (soon) to dynamic, is the addition of MD4 hash to dynamic.  I am still in the process of testing.  The code was easy to hook in. The MD4 and MD5 binary images are the same, and can be passed back and forth easily.

When the code is release ready, A full announcement will be made.

I am adding these formats, as builtin's within dynamic:

$dynamic_30$  md4($p)
$dynamic_31$  md4($s.$p)
$dynamic_32$  md4($p.$s)
$dynamic_33$  md4(unicode($p)) (NT)
$dynamic_34$  md5(md4($p))

Dyna_34 was to just for fun.  I might do something like sha1(md5($p).md4($p).$s)  as another 'fun' type, to test the system.  But that would likely get put out into dynamic.conf

Dyna_30 is about the same speed as raw-md4 (very close).  Dyna_33 is much slower than NT.  This is totally due to slow key setup in dynamic.  I will look at improving key setup for Unicode data. Dyna_29 and Dyna_33 both have simple password, in Unicode format, which 'could' have the keysetup improved greatly, the same as was done for formats such as md5($p) md5(md5($p)) which have a very 'simple' password load.

However, Dynamic will be released with md4, before speed improvements are made to dyna_33 / NT.

Jim.