Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:12:42 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New pkzip format

magnum, Jim -

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 11:56:11PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> Well we already have BENCHMARK_LENGTH (I don't get why it's called that)

IIRC, I initially introduced it for use in AFS_fmt.c, where it is
actually a length.  With this format, very different processing occurs
for passwords of length 8 and below vs. 9 and above.  So these are
benchmarked separately.

> of 0 or -1 so why not just add a couple more possible values there?

As you have found out, there are already other possible values (the
lengths) - maybe they're just sufficient for Jim's needs as is?

Alexander