Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 23:55:04 -0400
From: David Jones <jonesd@...umbus.rr.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: David Jones <jonesd@...umbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Patch for dynamically loaded formats

On Sep 3, 2011, at 10:01 PM, Solar Designer wrote:

> For the option name, how about "--plugin"?  I don't like "--dynamic-fmt".

I don't have any strong attachment to the name, I tried to pick something descriptive.

> BTW, I think you're already aware of compile-time plugins supported in
> -jumbo (thanks to work by JimF and magnum)?  These similarly don't
> require source code edits to add a new hash type.

Actually, I wasn't aware of compile-time plugins.  I did the initial work for this enhancment a couple years ago on John 1.7.3.1, and earlier this summer decided to revisit it to update it for the official 1.7.8 release, not -jumbo.  It appears the compile-time stuff assumes the module is a single source file, I have to consolidate 5 or so source files to follow that format.  The project also includes a piece that lives on OpenVMS, i.e. the uaf_to_passwd program to convert the native password hash data to a ciphertext  suitable for JtR to process.

>> I'm still working on cleaning up the kit for demonstrating the feature (an updated OpenVMS module with mixed-case support).
>
> Please submit your OpenVMS stuff as a patch for -jumbo.  I'd rather
> integrate it in -jumbo.  If you want to also use it to demo the dynamic
> plugins, feel free to do that, but it should not replace integration
> into -jumbo.
>
> Looking at your john_1.7.8-jumbo-5b-dynfmt.diff patch, here are some
> suggestions:

I split off the register_dlls() function into a plugin.c with a plugin.h header file and generated a new .diff file, which I attached.  I also produced a openvms_fmt_plug.c for the jumbo version that appears to function correctly.  I left the FMT_LOADER function in the code, so it works either way.

Download attachment "john_1.7.8.jumbo-5.plugin.diff" of type "application/octet-stream" (8763 bytes)

Download attachment "openvms_fmt_plug.zip" of type "application/zip" (23733 bytes)

The module is naturally multi-threaded, but I disabled it since I didn't know a simple way to test for the presence of pthread support.  On my little Mac min (2 Ghz)i, incremental mode cruises along at 500,000 c/s when using both cores.