Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:04:20 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: check for filter() is added, patch and questions
 about it

Alexander,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:32:40PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Well, I ended up making more invasive changes, see below.  I've only
> tested these against 1.7.8 proper so far, but I think they should work
> for -jumbo as well - probably as-is.  Please test and let me know.

I am sorry for so later reply (during this time I got new hdd and
installed Debian to test John with mpi).

I extracted your patch from your email.
To apply it I used '.../john-1.7.8/src$ patch < ../../yourpatch.diff'.
To apply Jumbo I used '.../john-1.7.8$ patch -p1 < ../john-1.7.8-jumbo-5.diff'.

First problem I faced is that I could not apply patches correctly and
then build John. Both combinations John+patch+Jumbo5 and John+Jumbo5+patch
give me rejected hunks. So I proceeded with John+Jumbo5+patch and manually
applied rejected changes. Right?

It seems that all works good except mpi: with mpi error messages are
shown several times, for instance "No filter() ..." would be shown as
many times as listed by N in 'mpiexec -np N ./john ...'.

Should I do something? Any diffs? Test with Jumbo-6rc1? Or maybe even
fix for mpi?

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov