Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 03:07:05 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Lukas's Status Report - #15 of 15

Lukas -

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:02:42PM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> I've uploaded mscash2cuda-0 to wiki.
> On 9800GT - 1430 c/s [128th,14bl]
> On GTX460 - 8160 c/s [256th,14bl]

Thanks.  Here's what I got on 8800 GTS 512:

Benchmarking: MSCASH2CUDA [GPU]... DONE
Raw:    1580 c/s real, 1580 c/s virtual

After applying your john-1.7.8-mscash2cuda-0.diff, I changed:

	mscash2_init(1);

to:

	mscash2_init(0);

or it was failing trying to use a non-existent second GPU as far as I
could tell.  Do you have two NVidia GPUs in your machine now? :-)

Running two instances at once, I got:

Raw:    784 c/s real, 819 c/s virtual
Raw:    934 c/s real, 961 c/s virtual

which is slightly faster (1700 c/s combined).

Overall, this feels somewhat slow - comparable to a quad-core CPU.
There's probably a lot of room for optimization.

Your 8160 c/s for a faster GPU is much better, though. :-)

> Patch is configured for older devices (sm=10,128threads) to be more
> portable. As Solar stated only pbkdf2 is on gpu side.

Yet you implemented the on-CPU mscash portion of mscash2 in the .cu
source file - wouldn't it be cleaner/easier to have it in .c?  (Maybe
this is how it should be.  I am merely asking.)

> It is basicly Sn3f's implementation with JimF's optimizations, and
> it's not (yet) fully optimal. I estimate that optimal should do around
> 13k c/s on gtx460.

How did you arrive at this estimate?

> Now I'am thinking about buying ati card and making opencl patches
> optimizations to utilize radeon's computing power. Besides I want to
> make md5cuda patch faster.

Sounds good.

Thanks,

Alexander